Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Radio Silence

I'm still here.
I've just had my head buried in my computer reviewing school websites, going on school visits and filling out school applications. No, I'm not going back to get my masters degree but merely applying for schools for M here in London. 

Of course, I know things will work out as they always do but right now it all feels overwhelming.

M just began nursery and yet, I've come to realize we should have had her on lists for schools as our airplane landed. You see, the whole school thing is a bit crazy here.

In London when asked where M is registered for school and I reply nowhere yet, you may actually hear them audibly gasp. Silly me thought she would begin September 2017 because that is when she would have begun Kindergarten in the states. Come to my recent surprise, she will be starting September 2016 which means we will still be in London for at least one year of her formal schooling. 

Here in the UK children begin the Kindergarten equivalent (called Reception) the academic year they turn 5 (putting M at 4 and 5 months). In most cases, a whole year earlier than children begin in the states. It just feels too early and I'm in no rush to have her reading and writing. Especially when I read articles like this just published in the New York Times.

The wait lists for some schools are already closed or too long to consider even registering. For one recommended school, we had to register for their ballot system by September 30, 2014. Oops, missed that deadline.

Being a (for now former) teacher myself, I know what kind of school I am looking for and I am pretty picky. I've had the opportunity to teach at some pretty amazing schools in California so I am looking for the best pieces of those places. I am not looking for that school which feeds into so and so prep school, where so and so went or the one that is going to have her reading War and Peace by the time she is 7. I am also not looking for M to pass a test trying to get into their school. 

I am looking for a school that values how a child learns as much as what they learn. I am looking for a school with a creative curriculum and one that is individualized to meet the needs of all their students. I am looking for a school that is as concerned with her social, emotional, and physical development as much as her academic development. I am looking for a school that has teachers that love teaching at that school. I am looking for a diverse community where the parent body is active as a school community and within the city. I am looking for a school that will develop and foster her curiosity and love of learning for the rest of her life. Oh and some space outside to run and play- which let me tell you in the city, that ain't easy.  

We are looking at schools around a large area of London which adds to the life decisions to be made. These neighborhoods could be where we continue to live for a few more years, if it's all meant to be. 

Staying in the UK longer than originally scheduled that is.

So another school visit tomorrow and I've been looking forward to this one. Their paperwork is calling.
At least filling out the application is fun with this little friend on the top of my pen!

1 comment:

  1. I started a year early (Canada must have the same rule?). And fear not. Even starting early I was behind in cursive (of all things!). But the worst part? I didn't turn 21 until second semester of my senior year of college! I can't believe how crazy school apps are over there!!

    ReplyDelete