Thursday, August 14, 2014

There's a Mouse in Our House

Adjusting back to London time has not been easy. I'd say adjusting to the new time zone is the toughest part of traveling with a child.

Last night was a doosie getting M to bed. She went down for two hours and then was up again wanting daddy. Not like her to be up since she's usually down for the count once we say goodnight.

Daddy was at a work dinner so I figured she could stay up and wait for him. I was tired and did not have much energy to battle my always persistent 2 year old.

Long story short it took both of us a lot of negotiating and in the end, I'm pretty sure M won the battle.

We finally headed upstairs to bed. Davis was exhausted from his first day back at work since our holiday. I was laying in bed reading my phone and I saw something out of the corner of my eye. My clothes were by the bed and I figured it was just my shirt falling off the pillow it was laying on. Again I saw something. And again. I decided something wasn't quite right and began to stare into the dark bathroom. It clearly was not my shirt falling off the pillow over and over again.

Holy (insert expletive here). Davis, there is a mouse in the bathroom!

We waited and it peeked out again. Oh good, he saw it too...I'm not going crazy due to my jet-lag!

He went in and tried to find it. I figured the mouse would just come to Davis, after all he did intend on being a vet when we started dating way the heck back in 1998. Ha!

He just told me to go to bed. He was less than amused.

Then I saw it run along the wall for the stairs. Did it go down to see M? Did it jump in the little hole and go back to its family? We looked for it again and it was gone.

I emailed our landlord for an immediate action plan.

I wished our dog, Hyde, had been here to scare it away once and for all. Although truth be told, he'd be completely oblivious.

You see I'm not afraid of mice necessarily, but I don't want them in my house. Although it was very small and cute.

I immediately thought of my mom who is deathly afraid of mice. She will be staying in our room in 56 days.

I remembered the day when there was a mouse in our kitchen in Denver. I've never seen her move so fast, jumping onto the counter and refusing to come down until the fury friend was taken care of.

That was the phase of my life when I saved spiders in our house and felt so very badly when any living thing was hurt. I demanded we use mouse friendly traps that nicely closed as the mouse entered the trap to enjoy its Brie cheese with crackers. Then we would quietly release it into a beautiful garden where it would enjoy life.

My parents humored me and got those humane mouse traps.

You know how that one ended. The trap beheaded the mouse.

Someone is coming out tomorrow afternoon. Hope the little guy(s) read this and pack up in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment